Thursday, October 3, 2013

Uploading Photos

Since I still can't sew, I've been working on cleaning out files on my hard drive and getting rid of not so great photos of my quilts and uploading better photos of them. I've finally mastered getting good photos of them (I hope). My next blog post will detail some things I've learned and have some links on how to photograph quilts. For me, it was a long learning curve.With the old method of photography I used, I had a terrible time getting clear enough detail on the shots of the whole quilts and the camera just couldn't get a good read on the true colors. Now, I think I have enough detail on the whole quilt shots and the colors are just right without much effort.
     In the meantime, here is a photo of a quilt I made this past Spring and some detail shots of it. This quilt is not at all in my usual style. I made it for a special call for entry. It didn't get accepted to that show, but I'm glad I made it. The idea just popped into my head and I had to keep on working on it madly until it was finished. Usually, I work on pieces very slowly.
      I've named and renamed this quilt. Presently, it is called "Circle of Emotions". It used to be called "Spirit of Emotions".  I thought of "Of Two Minds" and "The Prescience of Mind".  All of them fit, but none speak to me. What about you? Here is the artist statement that goes along with it:

It is amazing how complicating emotions are and that colors can help us identify with those feelings. In this piece I tried to show two opposing sides; the fiery, passionate side with loving feelings and stormy outbursts and the colder, more calculating side where the all-knowing eye sets the gears in motion to analyze with detachment of emotion. I chose to use deeply saturated colors and many silks because of their shimmer, adding to the feelings of passion. I selected a pattern for quilting the background to represent both icicles and teardrops. And in the midst of all this complexity of feeling, the Spirit of Emotions keeps it all in balance.
Circle of Emotions


Detail 1 Female figure and gears

Detail 2 The Eye
I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can see other art quilt blogs. Please make comments to let them know you visited.


6 comments:

  1. love the circle, the colors are brilliant against the background. The content shows you really considered the symbolism while making it.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ideas just flowed as I created this one. I've never had such a burst of creative energy as this before. I even woke up in the middle of the night with new ideas and went into the studio to put them into action. I don't know if the pressure of the deadline did that to me or if it was just the subject matter. I was lucky to have all the fabrics on hand. All I had to buy was the dark purple background.

      Delete
  2. I think this title should stick! Of course I love circles so that influences me. Very nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm going to ask a psychiatrist friend who is also a quilter what she thinks about the title. She may have an interesting clinical title.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.