Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Good Gelatin Plate (I hope)?

     Since my large "permanent" plate had developed some small mold spots, I cut it up into pieces about 3 inches square and put them into a glass bowl and microwaved them for 3 minutes. They were completely melted. Then I added 1/4 cup glycerin to the mix. Gave it a good stir and poured it back into the cookie pan. It set hard within 15 minutes. Hopefully, that will do the trick. I still have a little glycerin left over, so if mold grows again, I'll remelt it and add some more. The problem may be with the type of glycerin I'm using, however. I bought it at Hobby Lobby in the soap making department. On the label it says non-edible. That could be because it has some ingredients in it other than glycerin. There is no ingredient list on the label and it doesn't say 100% glycerin on the label.
     My small gelatin plate is still mold free and I used glycerin from a health food store. That glycerin was edible and was 100% glycerin. It was also very expensive. 
So now the ingredients in the large plate are:
12 TBS gelatin
3 1/4 cups glycerin
3 cups boiling water

Here's the link for the original recipe: Original Recipe

Time will tell how it goes...

3 comments:

  1. I'm wondering how your gelatin plate is doing? I want to make one, but am concerned because I read that if you use too much glycerine that the plate will be sticky. Did yours come out satisfactorily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I just checked it and it looks good and doesn't feel sticky. Time will tell. I've since heard that CVS is still selling glycerin so that would be the place to buy 100 percent pure glycerin at a good price and use the original recipe I used on the plate I started with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regina! I'll have to add CVS to my shopping stops for tomorrow.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.