Thursday, January 16, 2014

ATCs; Not Just For Trading

     When I went to The International Quilt Festival in Houston in 2012, one of the things I did was to visit the famous trading post and trade ATCs (Artist Trading Cards). I took about 25 of my own with me to trade and made regular visits to the post during my 4 days there and exchanged my cards for others. Also, I traded cards with several members of my art group at home. I haven't decided what to do with most of them yet.
     But three of them I display on a shelf along with some very special souvenirs. On the shelf are rocks we've brought back from trips from all sorts of countries, Also on the shelf are pottery shards we've found on streets in Asia, beach glass we've found on a beach in Argentina, even a piece of a chain from a truck that broke off during a blizzard when we were stranded on a pass in the Andes on the border between Chile and Argentina (we were stuck there for three days...Brrr). We take turns making cairns from the various rocks and other pieces.
ATCs in action
The ATC on the left was created by Lynda Ozgur from New Smyrna Beach. She is a member of my art group, ArtsEtc and creates beautiful art quilts, garments, and fabrics. The ATC in the center is one I traded in Houston and was created by Dr. Sharon Hyll from St. Croix, United States, Virgin Islands. The ATC on the right I also traded in Houston, but the writing on the back was illegible so I can't give credit to its creator.
     I thought I'd share this way to use ATCs while I'm busy working on another quilt. It's at a stage where I'm not ready to share any photos yet. I have background fabric panels up on the design wall and have started sewing them together. This quilt will have three rock cairns on it if all goes well.
I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt websites. Be sure to make comments to let the artists know you stopped by.  Also, for you Friday visitors, if you scroll down to my last post, you'll see the solution to my focal point dilemma.

4 comments:

  1. Guess we didn't trade cards. I love the ones I got, but would like one of yours too!
    Maybe next year. Good luck with your current project, hope it's going better than mine
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only got to Festival that once when I had a quilt in SAQA's exhibit. I'm not sure when I'll get back again. And I had just started blogging so I don't think I had met any of you on the Internet yet. It would have been fun to arrange a meet up there. My current project is having the usual ups and downs. Now it in the ups.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting collections of artifacts and they all play well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun shelf. Sometimes my husband has added something (that doesn't belong) new just to see if I notice.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.