Friday, February 28, 2014

Screen Door Quilt Entry

     I finished my screen door quilt and entered it in the call for entry Redirecting the Ordinary. I named it "Screen Door With a View".  I'm very happy with it. I like it so much that I may make another one in a different size with a similar theme. But not right away. I made three large (for me) quilts since the beginning of January and want to take a break. I know I don't have a great chance of getting in the show with this quilt since it is a SAQA show and so many talented artists will enter. But if you don't enter, you have a zero percent chance. Here, again is the photo of the main part of the screen door and here are two other photos of detail shots. The whole quilt measures about 46 inches high by 31 inches wide.
hole in screen door reproduced in stitch


scarf from Guatemala pieced onto the side
and fabric swatches added as embellishments


other fabric swatches added as embellishments
to symbolize rust and keyhole

So now with time and no deadlines, I cleaned out the studio. So therapeutic! Next, I may clean out my clothes closet and line up the clothes that need to be altered and repurposed. I want to make some very small art quilts, too.  I have a large one with rock cairns and a tree of life planned, but no timeline so when the mood strikes, I'll take out the gelatin plate and get the fabrics ready. And, of course, there are the monthly wheelchair covers. I feel so lucky to be able to have the time now to play with fabric and paint. I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can visit other art quilt blogs. Please make comments on the artists posts to let them know you stopped by.

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Good luck with the entry and you are right, slim chance with so many artists entering but if you don't enter - 0 chance :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to enter more quilts in more shows this year. I love SAQA so I don't mind making the donation and not getting in. (Although I'd be happier to get in.)

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of a frayed screen door. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was a little embarrassed while I was taking photos of the hole in the door inside the restaurant, but what's an artist to do? :)

      Delete
  3. It is a wonderful work, whether or not it gets in. And, enjoy the 'no deadline' time - sorting is always therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already enjoying working on a small piece for no reason other than because it's meant to be.

      Delete
  4. Love the hole in the screen! It will be fun to see it in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could post photos of quilts when they are finished, but everyone says it's best not to until you find out if they are accepted or not. I like the pattern in the hole so much, I may use it again in another quilt soon.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.