Friday, June 6, 2014

Small Additions

     While sketching out and thinking about new quilts, I've been working on small crafts. One of the things lurking about the studio are jars containing thread snippets that are too lovely to throw away. Also fabric snippets and selvedges. I hope someday to think of a use for them. Maybe I can coerce my art group to come up with a challenge to use up such odds and ends in a quilt. But that would mean that I'd have to come up with a creative quilt using them and I've been avoiding that. In the meantime, I've decided to use them for a decoration. The jars I've been storing them in are plastic and have orange lids. Orange just doesn't fit in with the colors in my studio. So to fix that, I gathered fabric bits that I had monoprinted, sheer fabric, matte medium, an old sponge brush,  paint, and scissors.
jar with thread snippets
     I cut pieces of fabrics, and sponged them on with matte medium.

lid in process drying
When it was dry, I painted on Lumiere paint along the lines of the intersections of the fabrics. When that was dry, I cut a circle of sheer fabric and sponged that on top to smooth it all down with matte medium.
finished jars sitting on their shelf
The jars seemed to need a little more so I topped them off with Little Treasures I had made before. These were featured in Quilting Arts Magazine, Winter, 2005 by Carol Fletcher.
a Little Treasure
And here they are adding some style to my studio and giving me an excuse not to dig in and use them up.
All topped off
Until Opus, my cat, finds them and knocks their tops off. Have any of you created anything wonderful with loose thread bits? I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt blogs. Please leave comments to let the artists know you stopped by.

6 comments:

  1. it always cracks me up that we have tons of fabric in yardage and make stuff using tiny bits and pieces!! I do the same thing.
    leeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you, I can't throw all the scraps away and had to find a use for them. I combine bits of fabric, thread, yarn and painted dryer sheets to create new colorful art cloth. Here are a few links with some ideas but there are more throughout my blog. Have fun with it!
      http://judyrys.blogspot.com/2014/06/taming-of-threads.html
      http://judyrys.blogspot.com/2010/12/im-so-lucky.html
      http://judyrys.blogspot.com/2007/05/spring-of-creativity.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the links. I like what you did with your bits and pieces.

      Delete
  2. These are so cute! How great it is to make art out of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always take it as a challenge to use up scraps. Each scrap is like a mini art piece in itself. I can't bear to throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful way to handle scraps. I need about 56 of those jars at this point. Or maybe 560.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.