Saturday, August 29, 2015

Sharing Art About Town

     I'm in the process of hand quilting these days and taking apart a marionette that I bought in Burma in 1984 to redo her clothes that have slowly disintegrated over the years. I thought it wouldn't be too interesting to show those photos of the puppet redo in the blog, so I decided to take a few photos of art in my town instead and share those with you instead. Our town, DeLand, Florida, has become quite a mecca for sculpture and murals. Here are two of my favorites which are both located in in Chess Park.
A Conversation Over Chess in 1929
by Jill Cannady
This mural was painted by Jill Cannady from her imagination and I love how she captured the lights and shadows and the movements and expressions of the people. Sitting in front of it is a lovely bronze sculpture.
Peace by Joan Baliker
We have sculptures installed all over town but they only stay a year or two and then are replaced by new ones. There is an artist reception to celebrate the installation of the new ones followed by a sculpture walk around the town to introduce them. Peace, however, was so popular, that a movement germinated to purchase her and it succeeded. So she is now a permanent part of DeLand. 
     And here is how my stitching is progressing on The Puppeteer. I decided to do some echo quilting in the top right section in a thread the same color as the background.
partially quilted
It's difficult to see from the photo, but the quilting is helping the layers to lay flat. Since I used scrim for the background fabric and it has so much texture, the quilting stitches don't add much texture, themselves, like quilting usually does so the quilting won't be much of a feature. It will serve mostly for structure in this piece.
     I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt blogs. Please make comments on their posts so that the artists know you stopped by. Thanks for visiting.

9 comments:

  1. When you click on the photo it shows the texture. Nice! Thanks for the tour. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime in the future, I'll add more photos of sculptures and murals of DeLand.

      Delete
  2. Is Deland anywhere near Naples? I will be there this winter. And LeeAnna is right. You can see the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeLand is in Central Florida north of Orlando. Email me when you are in Naples and maybe we can meet. That would be fun.

      Delete
  3. I'm always so surprised when someone knows where Deland is, and now to hear that you live there---cool! I love the murals in town but have not seen the one in the park. Love it. Will have to look you up when next we visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to meet you. There are several of us here and near here from SAQA and we can have a meet up. Just email me.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a plan! Will do.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea to have sculptures rotate through. It continues to spark interest. Often, over time, art becomes invisible in public areas. Looks like a great place to live! Hope you haven't gotten too much rain this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DeLand is wonderful. Just this past weekend one of the museums here had a movie on art in western Africa... the first of part of a series.
    No we've only had intermittent downpours. Each one has been heavy, but they've been spaced far apart. Much better than originally expected.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.