Sunday, July 9, 2017

What Do You Do With Art Experiments?


     When you create a piece of cloth from an experiment do you put it in a notebook, put it away somewhere, or try to create something out of it? I usually try to create something. I hate for things to be put away and not used. Such was the case with an experiment on silk from my most recent Art Cloth class with Jane Dunnewold. We learned how to print on fabric using thickened dyes and used screens we had created in class to print through. Here is one of my results:
experimental screen print
     It was over a yard square in size. I cut it up into strips and machine-pieced them together. Then I overlapped two of the resulting long strips and sewed them together with a seam. I topstitched around the edges and then my scarf was finished. 






     I have two more cloths from that same procedure, but they don't seem as promising as this one was. But since I don't like cloth to just sit there, I may try to overdye them and turn them into cloth napkins. That's all for now because I'm very busy dyeing and printing to continue with my art series. I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt blogs. Please make comments on the artists' posts so that they know you stopped by. Thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty scarf! I too like to make something of my 'sampling' from a workshop or my own experiments...but if I determine that the results are less than stellar, I file them in a binder labelled "Samples", using page protectors as clear sleeves so I can see them and refer back to them. Alternatively, if the samples are small enough and I've also got some sketches and notes about the given project, I will stick them into the sketchbook next to those references, using double-sided tape. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret, I'm looking forward to wearing it, but it's too hot and I probably won't get to until October. I, too, have binders full of samples. Isn't double-sided tape a great invention?

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.