Friday, August 30, 2019

Which Social Media Posts Do You Prefer To Use?

     I can't believe it's been more than six months since my last blog post. I used to look forward to writing it each week. Then it was every two weeks and then it trailed off even more. I've been posting on my facebook page, and my Instagram  page regularly, though. I find it much more enjoyable to post a quick photo and a small phrase or two than to write paragraphs and fit in photos. I don't know what the future will be like for my social media posts, but for now, if you want to see what I'm working on, head over to Instagram. I find I'm not reading that many blogs from others anymore, either. I've found them on Instagram and follow them there. I may post here every now and then or may get back into blogging a lot, but probably not for awhile.
     So what's been going on in my art world? I've developed a love for working with thickened dyes. I use Procion MX dyes from Prochemical and Dye and print paste from them, too.  I love how much control I have with them as to the final color and value that will end up on the cloth, being able to paint, stamp, and screen with them. I did a color study with the pure dyes I have, mixing one color with another little by little to create cloth samples with color possibilities and a record of how to get them.

I printed up yardage using four layers of dyes and a variety of tools and made a set of 12 napkins.

And I made two art pieces using ethnic motifs I found while traveling and converted into thermofax screens. These photos of them are quick ones I did with my iPhone. And I may still add some stitching to them.
top section


bottom section


whole piece  Size is about 36 x 23
The background was made by screening on print paste and letting it dry and then painting on thickened dye. The print paste acted as a mild resist.
     I had printed several other cloths in bright colors to test out the resist effects of print paste and ended up fusing them together and printing on top to create this next one.
side view
front view
And I've been busy getting published. I joined TAFA, Textile and Fabric Artists list, (I'd add a link, but their website is down.),  I was a featured artist in Artsy shark, and I have an article on TextileArtist.org.  
I'm an enthusiastic member of SAQA and have an artwork in their upcoming auction.


     So now, I have several other ideas brewing and experiments going to pursue using those motifs from other countries in a series. I'll be posting my progress on Instagram. If you follow me there, you'll also see photos I take on a bike trail I frequent because I am so inspired by the nature that surrounds me there. I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can other artists' blogs. Please make comments on their posts so that they know you stopped by. Thanks for visiting.





2 comments:

  1. You've got some really neat stuff going on Regina. Your color studies are lovely in themselves! I hope you'll post more about that process with additional photos at some point.

    I also like the way the stenciled motif travels across 2 different fabrics in that green piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I’m really enjoying using the motifs. The challenging part is putting them together in a meaningful way.
      And I’m finding the color studies to be both meditative and informative. I’ll definitely be posting photos of those on instagram. I’m following the exercises in a book by Richard Mehl called “Playing with Color”.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.