Friday, March 6, 2015

Do You Take Workshops To Learn New Techniques?

     What is the criteria important to you in choosing a workshop? I hardly ever take real workshops from well known teachers. I just can't justify the cost of flying to the destination plus adding in the cost of the hotels and food and the class. But Pat Pauly is going to be in my territory at the annual Focus on Fiber event and I've always admired her art so I signed up for her three day class called Slash and burn. It starts on the 18th. My friend from elementary school is even flying in from Chicago and staying at my house and we are commuting each day the 45 minute drive to the all day class. Here is her website where you can see her art and the workshops she offers. Pat Pauly 
     To prep for the class, we had homework. We had to sew two fabric sets. One set of five similar fabrics in strips from 1 inch to 5 inches until it is at least 3/4 yard wide (sewn from selvedge to selvedge). And another set of five different fabrics sewn the same way. For my similar set, I chose light colored fabrics. For my different set, I chose fabrics that would coordinate with my light set.            Originally, I planned to monoprint all my fabrics so that I might end up with a quilt that would fit with my body of work. But then I calculated what was needed and it was four yards selvedge to selvedge and I realized I didn't want to monoprint that quantity all at once. So I only monoprinted one of the light colored fabrics and purchased all the others. Here's a photo of the finished sets. They are folded in half in the photo so you are only seeing half of their total length.
light set and different set of fabric strips side by side
     In addition, we are supposed to bring 1/4 yard of each fabric uncut plus some extra fabrics. I'm  very curious to see how it all ends up. I'm wondering if I'll be able to print any imagery on the fabrics when it's all sewn together or stitch any imagery or appliqué rocks or fossils. (As you know I am prone to do.) I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt blogs. Please make comments on the artists' posts to let them know you stopped by. Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

  1. I was not familiar with this artist......tx's for the introduction. The style seems so different from what you normally do....this should be a big adventure and I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very curious to see where this leads you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't take workshops but used to. Good luck with this one and let us know how it went, LEeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have Pat coming to the Ann Arbor quilt guild in Nov. and I can't wait. I rarely take workshops but do so when I'm pretty sure I'll learn from a different perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.