Sunday, August 14, 2016

Do You Have An Art Skill That You Shy Away From?

Is there an art activity that you feel that you just aren't good at? I always feel like I balk when it comes to making collages. I may start with an idea or start with a good color palette, but when it's finished, it never looks like a good composition. And when I look at other artists' collages, they always look so together. I study theirs vs mine to try to learn, but still haven't mastered the tricks.
My summer camp creative assignment this week was "Paint the News". Basically to take the newspaper and paint over it, then cut it up, and make a collage. When I saw that the basic assignment was to make a collage, I had two thoughts: One was "Oh no. I'm not good at this." The other thought was. "Oh good. I can try again. And at least there are directions for a starting point."
So I decided to use my favorite colors of blue greens. I painted over a newspaper page, a cut up some pages from a magazine. I really disliked my first attempt and threw it away. The next day, I decided to try again.
attempt #2
I liked this one better, but it still wasn't good enough, so I threw it away, also and I decided that wouldn't participate in this week's activity. The collages that the other artists were sharing online were very impressive, and I was too embarrassed by my attempts to share mine.
Then, one of the artists wrote by hers that she "let the chaos happen." That phrase really hit home with me. So I took my last attempt out of the trash and cut it up and rearranged it.

Balance The News

My response was to counteract the news of violence, stories of bigotry, and people ignoring facts. So I painted over the words on the paper almost completely. For symbolism, I added pages from a crossword puzzle book that could be filled in with more upbeat words. I used cool colors wishing everyone would just calm down and step back to think before they speak and act. And I incorporated one of my favorite themes.
Maybe I am getting the hang of collage. Let the chaos happen. I like that. I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt blogs. Please make comments on the artists' posts so that they know you stopped by. Thanks for visiting.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I like your post and your thoughts Regina! If only we could make those thoughts in our heads go away. Your final collage is great-it's the perseverance that got you there. I have similar struggles-I'm trying to head a new direction in my art so my attempts can be awkward. This is an encouraging reminder to just get in there and do the work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is part of human nature to be insecure when we compare ourselves to others. When making art, we shouldn't do that, but really, that's hard not to do. It's healthy to head in new directions. Good for you!

      Delete
  2. I like what you have done.... especially the one retrieved from the trash to rework it. Those exercises can open avenues to the unexpected, as you seem to have discovered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very exciting to see how art pieces turn out in the end when, in the beginning, you think it is doomed. The brain is amazing.

      Delete
  3. I love the phrase let chaos rein! Wow, what a way to approach art, I think I'll give it a try too. I am way to controlling and detail oriented. Your piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not sure I can let the chaos rein when creating art most of the time. But it helped in creating this piece.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the world of chaos, Regina! I sometimes feel like I am bouncing along on top of the waves of a stormy sea. :) I really like your Balance the News - wish the world would listen. But, my real favorite is #2. Please don't throw that one in the trash - it really speaks to me. BTW, I love the idea of painting over newspapers .....both from an environmental view and because most of the news deserves to be painted over! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Balance the News was created by cutting up#2, so it is gone. These creative prompts have been very rewarding. Unfortunately, there is only one more this week and then summer camp is over.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.