Thursday, August 22, 2013

Adding Fabrics to The Monk, The Rocks, And The Sun/Moon

     Now that I've chosen a design for my monk/rock cairn quilt using Photoshop Elements, I've moved on to cutting out the monk and rocks from fabrics. I used a commercial piece of fabric for the monk and I've started to hand embroider on it. I used some of the monoprinted fabric I made for the rocks. For the sun/moon, I painted white cotton fabric with a combination of Jacquard Textile, Neopaque, and Dye-na-flow paints as well as some regular acrylic paints.

     I won't show you my final chosen design yet. I've changed it since you last saw it.  But here are some close-up photos as it is now.
Sun/Moon




Partially completed monk

I've machine-stitched across the sky area some and I've hand- embroidered some. I haven't decided how much stitching to add to the rocks so they are still just pinned on.
Rock cairn with flag
I don't know why I'm so attracted to the monk theme lately, but it is really speaking to me. The problem is that there is a call for artists I'm interested in and I want to make a quilt for it that involves a bicycle and a beach. But if I keep with my body of work and this spiritual theme do I put a monk on the bike? Balancing a rock cairn in his hand? (I think not.) I'll figure something out for that entry.

I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find Art Quilt blogs. Please make comments on their posts to let them know you visited.

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the final design. Love the cairn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I experimented with more realistic looking ones at first, but then decided to go with a more mystical look. I may add some shading or thread painting still.

      Delete
  2. Now you are teasing us with these bits and pieces. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The decisions will flow faster now that I'm working with fabric and thread rather than just digitally. I'm really enjoying working on this piece. Photos will follow as soon as it is ready.

      Delete
  3. I love your fabric choices. I look forward to see the finished monk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been satisfying to see the fabrics evolve from white cotton muslin and then also to use some of the commercial fabrics I have as accents. I always wonder when I begin what the outcome will be.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.