I went through my bin of blue fabrics and found two pieces of indigo cotton that I had dyed with my ArtsEtc group many years ago and had only used a small portion of. I treasured this fabric and this project would be perfect for it. I found some commercial fabrics that went well with it and some oranges that would be good accents. Here are some fabrics that may get used.
|Indigo with possible accent fabrics|
to mimic having a moldy gelatin plate using a permanent gelatin plate. You can visit this older post to see the procedure here.
Here's a photo of the fabrics I monoprinted.
|Monoprints sitting on Marcia Derse fabric with|
a previously painted rock on top
Finally, I got busy and actually hand-pieced a nine patch. As I was sewing, I was thinking that I could machine stitch it so much faster. But then I would be missing out on the idea of spirit cloth so I got into the rhythm of the stitch and it went well. The next step was to do an invisible baste onto a thin cloth instead of batting to stabilize it and get it ready for the appliqué step to come.
|Nine-patch basted onto its stabilizing cloth|