Anyway, it required a quilted case, of course. I visited Lyric Kinard's blogpost Here and got the idea to make my case using her method as a base for my fabric. So I dug into the shoebox where I keep scraps of strips that I've cut off of quilts that I've squared off and small quilts that just didn't work out. Then I browsed the Internet for a tutorial on iPad covers and found This marvelous tutorial.
I chose quilted pieces I had that went together well. Some already had rocks sewn onto them. Yay! To make the appropriate sized pieces for my iPad cover as called for in the tutorial, I sewed quilted pieces together with a utility stitch on my machine by butting up the edges of the fabrics and just sewing them together. (My pieces already were quilted with a top fabric and batting but no backing fabric.) It was a stitch that looks like it was serged.
|Piece of old quilts sliced and sewn together|
Once I had all the pieces called for in the tutorial, I embellished them with machine embroidery and added some more rocks by machine appliquéing them on. Then I just followed the tutorial. At first read, it seemed to me like it was going to be complicated, but it was actually very straight forward.
|Front of cover with fold-over flap|
I put my fold-over flap more over to the side rather than in the center so that it wouldn't hide the rocks. (So vain of me.) That turned out to not be such a good idea because the iPad isn't protected enough that way. So the next evening, I made another fold-over flap and sewed it on to the first on extending it so that the iPad is protected properly.
|Back of cover|
There is enough space inside the cover to put a little pouch that holds the iPad power cord and a cloth to clean the iPad, too.
I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can visit other art quilt blogs. Please make comments to let the artists know you stopped by.