Friday, May 16, 2014

The Eyes Have It

     In my art group, ArtsEtc., we start our meetings with a 10 - 20 minute sketching warm-up exercise to get the creative juices flowing even though we are really a fiber art group. Last month the exercise was to look at a photo of an eye and draw it lightly with pencil four times on separate card stocks. Then, at home, on one of them, with pencil, sketch it very accurately. On the second one, develop it with ink. On the third one, develop it with colored pencil. On the fourth one, develop it with vine charcoal (I skipped this one because I don't plan on working in this medium.) The purpose of the exercise is to compare the different types of media. It was a valuable exercise for me, although I really don't enjoy doing something more than once. Here are my sketches.
Photo and sketches in various media
     And then, I got the idea, since I had eyes in my head, to add eyes to my hand sewing project from the class I'm taking on-line from the Spirit Cloth website. Since the rocks fell into the river, I embroidered eyes in the river to symbolize having the spirits of the rocks in the river.
Still in-progress
It's not laying flat because the river is quilted and I haven't yet quilted the area around the river. I think I'll add some more eyes in the river, too. Then I have to quilt the rest and more fabric at the bottom and quilt that, too. I'll decide the edges later. I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can visit other art quilt blogs. Please make comments on their posts to let the artists know you stopped by.


4 comments:

  1. Wow....I'm super impressed with your drawing skills!! A subject that intimidates me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't used to be able to draw anything but stick figures. But then I discovered a book called "Drawing From The Right Side of the Brain" and I taught myself to draw in about two weeks. No kidding.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to comment on the eyes because the second pic won't open... wah. That eye is a challenge as it's shadowed. I love the second eye drawing for capturing that. The third eye full of color really pops of course. They all are so well done. Drawing is challenging for me. LeeAnna Paylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my sketches. They were well out of my comfort zone. By the time I got to the colored pencil one I was saying to myself "Enough, already." I wanted to do one in fabric and thread, but I was tired of the repetition of the same eye so I didn't do it. Good to compare the different types of media, though.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.