NOTE: I prewashed my crinoline to remove any chemicals so that it would take paint well. I drip dried it.
We were supposed to bring some sort of design already drawn out ready to sew. I had no idea what I design I wanted work with and drew out several but didn't like any of them. Then I went through photos I keep in a file that I think I may use for surface design.
One of the photos is of a gong. It has a nice texture and I do love circles. So I played with the gong photo in Photoshop Elements and found edges and lines and sketched those out and decided that is what I would sew. I cut out a piece of crinoline and batting and in the meeting I free motion machine stitched this.
|stitched Buddha on crinoline|
To stitch the Buddha:
1.) I made the photo of the incense burner black and white in Photoshop Elements, and increased the contrast.
2.) I inserted it into a WORD document and changed its size until it was a good size to fit nicely onto the stitched gong lines.
3.) I printed the WORD document.
4.) I put tracing paper on top and traced the lines of the Buddha that I wanted to stitch using a mechanical pencil.
5.) I pinned the tracing paper on top of the crinoline and free motioned machined stitched it.
6.) Using tweezers, I carefully pulled off the tracing paper. (I removed the tracing paper before I stitched the "hair" of the Buddha".)
There remained so many possibilities of how to paint it and how to collage it that I decided to play with the composition with my iPad using ArtStudio and SnapSeed Apps first.
This is what I ended up with as a digital collage using photos from above.