Friday, June 13, 2014

Line Study

     In my latest art group, ArtsEtc, meeting we did an activity exploring how different media can be used on crinoline to express lines. The basic method was to sew the lines onto the white cotton crinoline in black thread and then use various paints afterwards.
NOTE: I prewashed my crinoline to remove any chemicals so that it would take paint well. I drip dried it.
We were supposed to bring some sort of design already drawn out ready to sew. I had no idea what I design I wanted work with and drew out several but didn't like any of them. Then I went through photos I keep in a file that I think I may use for surface design.
     One of the photos is of a gong. It has a nice texture and I do love circles.  So I played with the gong photo in Photoshop Elements and found edges and lines and sketched those out and decided that is what I would sew. I cut out a piece of crinoline and batting and in the meeting I free motion machine stitched this.
gong lines
A good start. But where to go from there. A few days later, I was walking by a Buddha incense burner we have and decided to stitch that too. It might go well with the gong.
incense burner

stitched Buddha on crinoline
To stitch the Buddha:
1.) I made the photo of the incense burner black and white in Photoshop Elements, and increased the contrast.
2.) I inserted it into a WORD document and changed its size until it was a good size to fit nicely onto the stitched gong lines. 
3.)  I printed the WORD document.
4.)  I put tracing paper on top and traced the lines of the Buddha that I wanted to stitch using a mechanical pencil.
5.) I pinned the tracing paper on top of the crinoline and free motioned machined stitched it.
6.) Using tweezers, I carefully pulled off the tracing paper. (I removed the tracing paper before I stitched the "hair" of the Buddha".)
     There remained so many possibilities of how to paint it and how to collage it that I decided to play with the composition with my iPad using ArtStudio and SnapSeed Apps first. 
This is what I ended up with as a digital collage using photos from above.
digital collage
So now I will get out the actual paints, beads, and others and play with my actual stitched pieces. The whole thing is about 7 inches square by the way. I'm linking this to Off The Wall Friday where you can find other art quilt blogs. Please make comments to let the artists know you stopped by.

2 comments:

  1. oh how totally engrossing!!! I am so impressed. I have never ever considered working on crinoline. Now why use it? Again, you have crinoline on batting, stitched, then you plan to paint. Won't the paint just gravitate to the batting?
    I just love the images you used. Good job.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crinoline is easy to sew on without a stabilizer. It is semi- transparent and has a semi-rough texture which makes it interesting to me. It actually takes the paint very well. Sometimes I wish the paint would go through the openings more than it does. If I watered the paint down more, it would go through more, but then I would lose the saturated color, too. And I love the way the crinoline monoprints on gelatin. I think I should do a blog post on painting on crinoline. I've gotten some cool effects.

      Delete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.