Then I wanted to use the paints I had rather than purchase more. (I've decided to use up my stash before I buy more paint of any kind.) I had jacquardproducts.com/ Jacquard blue textile paint, Jacquard russet paint, Jacquard teal neopaque paint, regular white acrylic paint, Golden Gac 900 Fabric Painting Medium goldenpaints.com. Mixing the combination together gave me a desaturated light blue. (Using the acrylics with the Gac helped not make the fabric too stiff.) They say not to mix different product brands together, but this one worked for me.
I repeated but this time used a cardboard edge to draw streaks in the paint instead of making ovals with the toilet roll on the plate before printing.
|with ovals from toilet paper roll|
|with streaks from cardboard edge|
I found that I didn't think I could use these for what I had in mind. Then I thought that if I spread some white Shiva Paintstiks cedarcanyontextiles.com/category/paintstiks/ on them I could blur up the marks and make the patterns more mottled. When I was digging through the bin looking for the paintstik, I saw a rubbing plate and had an ahah moment.
See below how I added the rubbing with white paintstiks. I don't know if you can see from the photos, but I used a stencil brush to blur the patterns to make them more subtle. Now I think I can use the fabrics as backgrounds with the theme of spreading prayers. I have torn the fabrics up and made a layout and will look at it over the next few days to be sure I like it. But I think it is promising. Man... this blogging thing is kind of scary... to share unfinished work. Because usually I make a lot of changes before a work is done.