Monday, April 29, 2013

What To Do With A Stamping Experiment?

I'm a member of an art group called ArtsEtc. This fiscal year, we are working through the exercises in

Finding Your Own Visual Language: A Practical Guide to Design and Composition by Claire Benn, Jane Dunnewold, and Leslie Morgan. http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Your-Own-Visual-Language/dp/0955164923  One of the exercises is to carve stamps. We did that at one of our monthly meetings. At the next meeting, we stamped fabric. Our goal was not to create an artwork at the meeting. It was to discover patterns that spoke to us and to explore those patterns more at home during the month. Here is one of the pieces of fabric I stamped.
stamped textures
All of the above textures were stamped with acrylic paint mixed from black and white to make a gray. The fabric is white cotton muslin. The stamps I carved were all from Easy Cut blocks from Dick Blick

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-e-z-cut-printing-blocks/ I used a combination of a lino cutter and an Exacto knife to cut them. The only texture you see above not from Easy Cut is on the bottom right. That was made from sticking pieces of styrofoam (that I cut with scissors) onto a square of sticky-backed craft foam.

So over the next few days, I plan to make artwork out of it even though that wasn't the intent of stamping it. I like the look of sections of it and can see promise for it. More promise than just stapling it into my journal with some notes about it. I'll post pictures as it progresses so that you can get ideas on how to use your stamps.

1 comment:

  1. lovely textures - I'd suggest using just sections of one or two with related pattern shapes in conjunction with areas of whire and/or toning grey.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is appreciated and will be posted after it is approved.